Position: ANCEFA Regional Coordinator
Date: 1st October 2020
ANCEFA (www.ancefa.org), a voluntary, non-partisan and not-for-profit network of
national civil society organizations in Africa championing the cause for quality Education, is looking for an African, vibrant dynamic education rights’ activist to coordinate the network and help raise the voice of education in the region together with other civil society organizations.
Location: Based in ANCEFA regional office located in Dakar with extensive and regular travels. Reports to: ANCEFA Board Chairperson
- Management Team members
- Heads of ANCEFA Program Offices in Lome, Nairobi and Lusaka
- Other Staff as approved by the BoardType of Role: Two year fixed term contract.
This is a contractual position pegged on two year rolling contracts, with annual mandatory performance appraisals. Contract renewals will be based on performance and availability of resources.
Compensation: $3500 to $ 4000 depending on experience, plus other benefits
Closing Date for Applications: 15th October 2020 ——————————————————————————————————————— Main responsibilities and tasks include:
(i) Strategic Leadership
- Provide overall leadership, coordination, and strategic direction to all activities of the organization with an objective of achieving the desired results in line with ANCEFA strategic plan.
- Lead development, guide midterm reviews and oversee implementation of ANCEFA Strategic Plans and annual operation plans.
- Support the Board in recruiting, inducting and contracting of senior staff as approved by the Board from time to time.
- Coach, mentor and build capacity of staff, particularly the managers reporting directly to this position.
- Serve as Secretary to the Board and keep or cause to be kept records of all Board meetings, online discussions and decisions.(ii) Networking, Advocacy and Partnership Development
• Build and maintain productive relationships with supporting partners, networks and key stakeholders and create new partnerships and networks relevant to all ANCEFA strategic goals and program areas.
- Maintain useful liaisons and strategic connections with all partners and networks of interest to ANCEFA.
- Represent or cause ANCEFA to be represented in all relevant high level or strategic advocacy processes and forums at regional and global levels organized by donors, governments, UN, civil societies and private sector players.
- Keep ANCEFA in good standing in the eyes of the regional and international community and maintain good public image with/through the media at all times.
- Take responsibility for membership mobilization and regular and well targeted communication with all members of ANCEFA.
- Ensure the voice of education civil society is heard where relevant policy debates are taking place through the organization taking position on key issues within and outside the region(iii) Fundraising and Resource Mobilization
- Provide strong leadership in initiating project ideas, concepts, pipelines and developing high quality project proposals for donor funding in line with ANCEFA Strategic Plan and strategic interests.
- Mobilise, support all written solicited and unsolicited proposals, and mobilize resources for all ANCEFA programs based on strategic and annual resource targets.
- Ensure overall financial accountability of ANCEFA’s budget while working with ANCEFA finance staff and board.
- Coordinate outreach, social marketing, profiling and fundraising activities with current and potential partners and selected regional and international organisations/platforms.
- Facilitate technical, policy and resource collaboration on specific program and campaign activities with other regional/international bodies and networks;
- Coordinate/undertake regular mapping of donors funding education in Africa and sharing such maps with Management Team (MT) and Board for direction.
- Coordinate with the donors’ forum to ensure a unified annual organizational budget, coordination of funding support and accountability with all ANCEFA donors.(iv) Heading the Regional Secretariat
- Work with Finance and Administration Manager to oversee all HR issues and personnel matters and ensure that appropriate personnel records are maintained by the secretariat.
- Serve as head of secretariat, and in so doing supervise and support capacity building and development of all staff.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Management Team (MT) based at the regional secretariat/ Program offices.
- Ensure Monthly MT meetings are conducted and that all management decisions, including procurement of goods and services are taken collectively by the team, in accordance with laid down procedures of ANCEFA.
- Restructure the Regional secretariat in line with the Board orientation(v) Programme Development and Management
- Work closely with and support MT to lead and manage all program designs, implementation and monitoring/reviews.
- Work closely with and support MT members to lead the preparation and implementation of quarterly & annual results based on work plans and result frameworks as approved by Management Team and Board.
- Work closely and support the Program Manager (PM) to supervise and support all staff to effectively deliver on all organizational targets and plans. In line with this, the PM will be responsible for preparation and effective implementation of Program documents as well as annual and quarterly work plans and budgets.
(vi) Performance Management and Reporting
- With direct support from the MT, monitor and evaluate the progress and performance of all programs and campaigns to ensure regular reporting to the partners and the Board.
- Support the PM to coordinate preparation of monthly, quarterly and annual progress reports and organizing of quarterly and annual program and campaign reviews.
- Support the MT to undertake/coordinate annual performance appraisals for all ANCEFA staff across the region
- Validate and approve all finance, program and campaign reports and updates to Board and partners before any submissions are made to stakeholders.
- Ensure that the PM organises and leads staff in ANCEFA annual planning and budgeting sessions.
- Provide first point of contact with all ANCEFA donors regarding budgets, financial and program reports.(vii) Policy Enforcement and Compliance
- Identify from time to time, ANCEFA’s key policy challenges and lead formulation of best possible and alternative policy options for the organization for the Board’s consideration and subsequent approval.
- Ensure all policies approved by Board are implemented and followed accordingly.
- Ensure staff compliance to ANCEFA values, principles, policies and procedures.Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of a Masters or post-graduate degree in education and valuable experiences in public administration and program management, or related areas. At least five years experience at senior management level in international non-governmental organisations and networks.
- Understanding of the key education issues in Africa and the barriers to achieving education for all; understanding of human rights based approaches and how they can be used to campaign for education for all.
- Experience in developing and leading the implementation of effective international or regional campaign strategies in Africa.
- Solid understanding of campaigning philosophies and mobilisation strategies.
- Experience of working with networks or coalitions and building partnerships.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and networking abilities.
- Ability to manage complex and sensitive organizational relationships and work with a diversegroup of stakeholders in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Strong experience in organisational management, project management, strategic planning,monitoring and evaluation, fundraising, and finance management.
- Experience of monitoring and evaluation at end of organisational strategic period.
- Good people management skills with a solid understanding of change management processes,performance management, time management, results based management, and team building.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Personal character: Having good personal track record, honest, dedicated, dynamic, showingrespect to others, team builder and time manager.
- Experience of drafting proposals, reports and policy briefs to influence high-level stakeholders(e.g. donors, governments, etc.)
- Advanced computer skills
- Language competence: It is desirable that the candidate is bilingual, English and French.Knowledge of Portuguese is an advantage.
Interested persons should send signed letters of application in English and French accompanied by CVs and copies of relevant graduate and postgraduate certificates via email ONLY, by 17.30 GMT on 15th October 2020, to the following address:
Chairperson of ANCEFA Regional Coordinator Selection Panel C/o ANCEFA Board
Late submissions will not be accepted and ONLY shortlisted applicants will be acknowledged